This beautiful Gyuto chef’s knife is the perfect all rounder for any kitchen. It is made from German Stainless Steel and has a western style handle. It is perfect for use on meat, fish and vegetables.
German 1.4116 Stainless Steel
Made in China.
About Gyuto Knives
The Gyuto (牛刀) in all-rounder and is the Japanese equivalent of the classic French chef’s knife. It can be used for meat, vegetables and fish. The name Gyuto literally means “beef-sword”, as it was originally designed for cutting chunks of meat.
When preparing vegetables, it is used by chopping or thrust-cutting near the heel of the knife. It is also used to rock-chop stiffer produce and to make fine cuts at the tip of the knife. It is used for many different cuts of meat. For larger cuts it is used to saw back and forth, to pull-cut softer meats, and push-cut more muscular cuts of meat. The pointed tip makes it useful for detailed work.
Care and Use Instructions
- Suitable for use on fish, meats and vegetables.
- Do not use on frozen foods or bones. The blade could chip or break.
- Only use natural wood or plastic cutting boards. Never use stone, glass or other rigid cutting surfaces.
- Hand wash with warm soapy water, rinse clean and dry after each use.
- Always apply a small amount of oil after each use. We recommend Tsubaki oil (Japanese Camellia Oil) which has been used for centuries by Japanese knife makers to protect all types of steel.
- Avoid prolonged immersion in liquids (water, solvents, etc).
- Do not clean in the dishwasher.
- Sharpen using a whetstone or a quality knife sharpener.
- As this knife is a Japanese style, the blade has been sharpened at a 15 degree angle. This means the edge is sharper and will cut with more precision than a western style 20 degree bevel.
- Store your knife in a dry place.
- As a minimum, wipe the blade with oil, 3 to 4 times a year to stop rust forming (more often if near water).
- Given the right conditions, even stainless steel can rust. If you are in a humid climate or coastal region it is important to keep your knife's blade protected with a quality knife oil.